Monday, May 28, 2012

Greyson's first surgery

On Monday morning (the day after Hunter's big party) Greyson went to Children's Hospital to have a dermoid cyst removed from the bridge of his nose.  This was something he was born with and we were told at his very first doctor's appointment (when he was one week old) that it most likely had to be removed.  In other words, we knew it was coming but it obviously wasn't something we were looking forward to.  I asked the doctor what was the harm in leaving it be and he told me "risk of infection" and "deformity of bone growth" due to its location.  He also recommended that the sooner the better but not before he was six months old.  He had to have an MRI a few months ago to determine whether it needed to be removed by a plastic surgeon or a neurologist.  The results showed that it didn't go very deep so a plastic surgeon is who did the procedure.  This was Greyson's second time being put under anesthesia because he had to for the MRI as well.  He slept most of the day and all night long both times.  I almost asked them if we could set up a weekly appointment.  Just kidding!!  He was a trooper and did very well.  The nurses were fighting over who would be the one to carry him into surgery.  He had to have one internal stitch and two outer.  The doctor said that there was just a minor dent in the bone and not a cleft so it was good that we had it done while he was so young.  There is a chance it could grow back but he didn't suspect it would.  I snapped this picture to send to the doctor because I was concerned that two nights after his surgery the bandage had fallen off in his sleep.  The nurse asked me to email me a picture of what it looked like since I had described it as a "gash" on the phone.  She checked with Dr. Jensen and he said it looked fine.  I'm trying not to worry about scarring but I can't help myself.  It seems to me like this should be closed up more but I'm no doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment