Friday, September 25, 2009

Sleeping through the night?

A friend of mine told me recently that she read that a baby is technically sleeping "through the night" when they start sleeping for five hours at a time. Tyler and Brody have reached this milestone as of a few nights ago. Seeing as how I'm not prepared to start my day at 2:30 a.m. I am not considering this sleeping "through the night." When they awake for the first time at around 5 a.m. I'll celebrate this milestone. Granted, five consecutive hours is better than two!

I've been back at work for a few weeks now and I actually welcome the change of pace. It's nice to get away and not hear a baby crying for a solid six hours. Although I do come home and nurse them on my lunch hour which is nice because I avoid the dreaded activity of pumping.

Hunter is back at preschool so I get a "break" three mornings a week when I'm "only" taking care of Brody & Tyler. I think he is enjoying this break too.

I've been running errands with all three in tow more and more lately. The other day we were at Kohl's with the double stroller and one of the funky Kohl's carts in which Hunter insisted on sitting. Picture me pulling the double stroller and pushing Hunter in the cart at the same time (in the middle of the two). It was a scene, let me tell you. A little while later when Hunter decided he was through with the cart he started wandering the aisles (close by me). A couple approached me with Tyler and Brody and said, "oh, are they twins?" This is a comment we hear at least four times at every store we enter. After I answered the woman said, "You're not here by yourself, are you?" I had to answer, "Oh no, my four-year-old is right over there." Her mouth dropped and she said, "I will be thinking of you next time I'm struggling with my teenagers at home." I think every stage is both challenging and rewarding at the same time and that's what I told her. Then both babies started to melt down and we had to check out as quickly as possible and leave. They only stopped crying as soon as the minivan started moving. I've decided that I refuse to be a prisoner to my home simply because we have twins. I have things to do outside of the home and it's not possible to always wait for John to get home from work for me to complete those things. Like, for example, shop with my 30% off coupon from Kohl's...hello?! It was expiring that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment