Saturday, July 9, 2011

Little pro

Hunter learned how to ride his bike a few days ago (July 5th). YAY HUNTER!!! The evening of July 4th John took him out in front of our house on the sidewalk and ran with him several times back and forth and said the last couple times he was barely holding on. We told Hunter that we'd take him to the park to practice on another day because it would be easier for him to learn there (more space) and of course, he wanted to go right away. Being that it was the 4th of July the park was jam-packed full of people for the fireworks display that evening so we told him we'd try on another day. The next day he asked to go so I took him (and Tyler and Brody) down there. I had to put his bike on top of the stroller in order for it to happen. Thankfully we have a heavy-duty stroller that could withstand the weight!


We found a great spot to learn that had a gradual downhill path with an incline about 150 feet long. I parked the stroller at the top of the incline so Tyler and Brody could face Hunter and watch. I ran alongside Hunter only three times (round-trip) and he got it! A car drove by on the grass (not sure what that was all about because cars aren't usually allowed in the park) and a man shouted out the window, "Now that's a great Mom!" It's not everyday you see a woman 7 months pregnant running alongside her six-year-old on a bike but that thought didn't occur to me until after he had said something. It was a really good thing that it only took him three tries though because I don't think I could've run a fourth time. I even told him, "Mommy needs a break after this one." He continued to ride by himself five more times down and back while I let the boys out of the stroller and allowed them to roam. They were cheering for Hunter saying, "YAY!"


I honestly didn't expect him to learn so fast...I didn't even have a camera or videocamera with me to capture the moment and it was KILLING me! I thought it would take him at least a week of practicing. He's a pro! Since then he has been trying some "tricks" like riding only one handed and riding while standing up on the pedals. I wish our neighborhood had less traffic so that he had a bigger area to ride. If only our house would sell!

No comments:

Post a Comment