Saturday, April 9, 2011

Anonymous good deed

A few weeks ago Hunter received a "Family Lent Calendar" at Religious Education with ideas of different good things to do each day of Lent. He especially liked the idea for April 4th, "Pick a friend or neighbor and perform an anonymous good deed for him or her." I had to explain to him what "anonymous" meant and then he decided that on April 4th he was going to do this deed for our next door neighbors, Renee and Joe. Well, unfortunately April 4th came and went and we forgot about our calendar. When he found it on April 6th he said, "Oh no! I forgot to do the anonymous good deed!" and quickly headed over to their yard. When he returned I asked him how it went and what he ended up doing for them. He said, "I picked up all of the leaves and put them in the street! Then I heard their front door opening so I hid behind the tree." I thought it was a really nice thing that he had thought to do for them. A little while later he said, "I promised Renee I would come over after I did my homework and made my bed. Can I go over there?" I replied, "Sure, but did you call her first?" He said, "Oh! Right" and went and got the phone. He dialed their phone number while telling me, "I know their number by heart!" This is what I heard him say..."Hi! Are you home and can I come over? OK! Oh! And did you see the anonymous good deed that I did for you? I picked up all of your leaves and put them in the street! OK, bye!" and he headed out the door.

1 comment: