Thursday, September 1, 2011

Hunter's a First-grader!

There has been a lot of anxiety leading up to this first day of school for Hunter. Something came up on the appraisal of our house that led to a delay of a week in the processing of the buyer's loan. We were anxious enough to think that this move may not happen at all so we didn't know where we should enroll Hunter in school. In the end we ended up moving forward as planned and Hunter started at his new school this morning. He told me on several occasions that he was scared and nervous and I told him it was perfectly normal for him to feel that way and that many other kids feel the exact same way right before school starts. We went to the school's open house on Tuesday night, which eased a lot of his fears because he was able to see his classroom, meet his teacher and tour the school. He was very excited to have his own desk for the first time. By his reaction, it was as if I was performing some kind of magic trick when I showed him how it opened up so he could store his belongings inside. He said, "Wow! And it stays up all by itself!"

This morning he woke up early all on his own. When he came into our room all dressed and ready to go I knew that he was excited about school. Sure enough when I kissed him goodbye he ran to John's truck in anticipation of the day.


When I picked him up he looked pretty tired. It didn't help that it was 90 degrees and humid today. He was waiting outside the school in the hot sun in a line of other first-graders who were waiting to be picked up. He will eventually ride the bus when we move into our new house but for the first couple of weeks we will commute him. I asked him to pose for one picture in front of the school since John dropped him off and I was unable to get this shot. His reply was, "No...because then you'll just want to take like 10 of them because they'll be blurry or whatever." I convinced him that I would take JUST ONE and he complied. He told me his day was "good" and that he met two new friends. One friend was named Olivia and the other was a boy but he forgot his name. He told me he has a job, which is paper. He gets to pass out and collect all papers in the classroom for two weeks. Not everyone gets a job and in Kindergarten the jobs lasted only one week. When he told me he gets to do it for TWO weeks he was excited. When I asked him what his favorite part of the day was he said, "Just sitting in my desk doing nothing." He complained that there was no "lounge." I wasn't sure what this meant but after some prying I now understand that in Kindergarten he got "lounge time" on the carpet when the kids could just lie down and read or rest. He also mentioned that his teacher "took forever" to go over the rules. I know it may not sound like it but I think he does really like his new school. It's just tough being a first-grader!

No comments:

Post a Comment