Friday, February 1, 2013

Bedtime shenanigans

Tyler and Brody have been difficult to "put" to bed ever since getting their big boy beds months ago.  We thought this would let up once the novelty of the freedom that a bed (vs. a crib) provides wore off.  We're still waiting...In the meantime we continue to use the same tactics that were successful to get Hunter through this adjustment period.  It seems to be lasting much longer with them and I wonder if it will ever get better.  They find playing irresistible even when faced with consequences.  After one warning of either being out of their bed or being too loud they know that they face getting something taken away.  The first time they get to choose what that item is.  The next time I choose.  I always choose their precious "biko" (blankie) when it's my turn since it's the ultimate punishment.  (Heartless, I know.  But desperation warrants such cruelty.

A few nights ago they were up to their usual loud shenanigans when I made my way toward their bedroom.  It was Brody's choice what I would take and he immediately started crying, not wanting me to take anything.  Clearly stalling, I told him that if he didn't choose something in ten seconds that I would have to choose.  Unfortunately, those ten seconds quickly passed and nothing had yet been chosen.  I said, "Aww, that's sad that you didn't choose anything.  I guess I'll have to."  More serious crying ensued, somewhat hysterical.  With my heartstrings being pulled beyond what I felt like dealing with, I offered him a rare second chance.  "OK Brody.  Last chance to choose something then."  He frantically starts looking around his bed at the options of stuffed animals, several books, his soft comfy blankies...none of which he wants to part with and then finally holds up a crumpled up tissue he came upon, starts cracking up laughing and says, "THIS!"

No comments:

Post a Comment