Saturday, February 2, 2013

Origami

Man is Hunter trying my patience with his new obsession with origami.  It all started with a Christmas gift from his Aunt Laurean & Uncle Tom.  Seemed pretty harmless...an origami book complete with paper to get started folding right away.  A gift he was eager to put to use.  And so the folding began, until step two (out of 24) when it got too difficult.  Enter mom or dad for "help."  When it's my turn, this help consists of me spending the next half hour silently cussing while I "youtube" how to make an origami tulip (or other said project) while Hunter runs into another room to play ninjas with his brothers and wait until I complete every last fold.  Mind you I cannot sit at the computer without Greyson demanding to sit in my lap.  So add my frustration in understanding the "push in and outside reverse fold" to keeping a toddler from pounding on the keyboard and thus losing my place in the ten minute video which took me 20 minutes to get through (pausing every step of the way to make each fold).  Origami is not for me!  I don't have the patience.  I don't want the patience.  I know it's a virtue but screw virtues.  I've got more pressing matters than folding paper!  However, if it's what my little boy desires I aim to please (sometimes).

There is however, one project he has mastered; the origami cup.  He has folded at least fifteen origami cups in the last week or so.  For his cub scout meeting last Monday he had to bring in and talk about a collection of something to his den.  He creatively stapled his collection to a piece of paper and answered questions such as, "do they actually hold water?" (which they do) and fueled his passion for origami.  He has also made origami cups for visitors to our house, mostly his friends.

This past Tuesday he was home sick from school with a bad cough and runny nose.  He watched a lot of t.v., resting as much as possible so that he could return to school the next day.  This was very important to him because he knows if he stays home from school he also must miss any scheduled evening activity.  That evening he had to miss his basketball practice.  Wednesday evening, however, was his first-ever ski lesson for which he had been eagerly looking forward to for a week.  During one of those television programs I spent that day watching with the boys I saw Hunter pull out a Kleenex and then a minute later say, "Hey mom, look!  I made an origami cup out of my tissue!" and held up his latest creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment