Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Lost x 2

On Easter this week while at John's parent's house Hunter disappeared for a solid 10 minutes. Every adult present (about six of us) was looking inside and outside of the house for him. After checking all of the obvious and not-so-obvious places John finally got in the van to drive around the neighborhood to see if he had maybe walked down to the park and as soon as he started backing out of the driveway Hunter popped up from the cargo area of the van. We had even gone in the van calling his name several times but just hadn't looked in the way back behind all of the seats. I guess he thought it was pretty fun to hide from us...not so! We were about ready to call the police. It was so scary and we had a serious talk with him about how when we are clearly looking for him he needs to answer us because what he did was not acceptable. Anyway, that's actually twice that we "lost" our son in the last week, the first time being about a week ago.

John had gone out to the garage to see if he could start up his motorcycle after it sitting idle all winter. The wind had blown the pedestrian door shut (on the garage) as Hunter was approaching coming from the house. The main door (where you drive in and out) was still open and he went out into the alley to get into the garage that way but John (unaware that Hunter was out there) had finished up and shut that door and walked back through the pedestrian door, closing it behind him. Hunter ran into the garage as the main door was closing but John had already shut the pedestrian door so Hunter was locked inside the garage but nobody knew this. Our pedestrian door is really tricky to open from the inside. You can't just turn the knob, you actually have to turn the lock (which sticks and is fairly high) and pull at the same time. About 10 minutes after John had left the garage (still oblivious to the fact that Hunter had gone missing) Hunter came running up to him in the front yard with a frantic story that went something like this, "Dad! I was locked in the garage and I tried yelling but nobody heard me and I tried banging too but that didn't work so I stacked some wood up and climbed on it to push the button but I couldn't reach so then finally I remembered that Mom twisted the lock to get out so I tried it and then I said, "Well....whattaya know...I'm free!" It was so funny how he had ended his little rant. I guess we should keep better tabs on our little guy!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, how scary! He must be pretty quiet, because I can tell where any of my 3 are just be listening to the constant chatter. As a matter of fact, if someone is quiet that means I need to check on her!

    ReplyDelete