Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Forgotten patient

Yesterday was pretty busy for the nurses. I hear that Tuesdays are their busiest days because doctors like to schedule inductions and c-sections on that day so that patients are released by the weekend and then they don't have to come in and do rounds. Anyway, I felt like the "forgotten patient" a little bit because I either kept getting left on the monitors for too long or put on late or both. I took myself off a couple of times due to persistent back aches. I also had more variety of nurses because one would get busy and ask another to come in to put me on. It normally wouldn't bother me but the night schedule was all messed up. I'm normally monitored at 11 p.m., 4 a.m. and 8 a.m. to start the next day. They had me on from 9ish until after 10 p.m. when I finally took myself off. I then stayed up late expecting to be put on one last time before bed. Nobody came. I finally went to bed a little past midnight and the nurse came in at 2:00 a.m. I was left on until 3:15 a.m. and now I'm up too early for the day (in my opinion...I wouldn't normally get up at 6 a.m. by choice). I said something to my morning nurse and am hoping today will be better. I got fewer than five hours of sleep and it wasn't continuous. I guess it's good practice for when the babies are at home. If I would've known I would've gone to bed right at 10 p.m. but my "revised schedule" wasn't communicated to me.

My platelets dropped again yesterday. They were 72K and now they are 63K. I haven't had my blood drawn yet today. The lowest they have been since I got here was 59K. I'm not sure why they're dropping so much. One of my favorite nurses, Tonya, said that you can't do anything about it. It's sort of like having "crappy veins...either you have 'em or you don't." I still have a week and a half to pray that they stay where they are or increase so that I don't need more steroids.

I did have a lot of fun earlier in the day when Hunter and John came to visit. Hunter and I played with his new Play-doh Spaghetti Factory that we got him for his birthday. He had a lot of fun making spaghetti, linguine, ravioli, and other pastas. Also, my friends Kim and Elise (fellow scrappers) came to visit last night for a few hours. Thanks guys!

Sorry for the crabby blog post. This hospital stay is dragging on and on. I'm so ready to go home. "Only" 10 days left (plus four post-op days).

No comments:

Post a Comment