Sunday, April 19, 2009

Scary stuff

While monitoring this morning Baby A had some pretty scary "decelerations" (where the baby's heartrate drops and stays low). The babies' HR's have been consistently in the 150's and suddenly Baby A dropped down to the 80's and would stay there for about 4 minutes and then come back up for a minute but return low again (all the while being irregular on top of it). I noticed it right away and said to my nurse, "His HR seems pretty slow." She said she didn't want to alarm me but she had noticed it as well. She called my doctor right away and the next thing you know I'm being wheeled in my bed downstairs to Labor & Delivery. They hooked me back up to an IV (had it removed late last night for being so stable), administered oxygen and had me call John to come to the hospital right away. The doctor on call at the hospital came down right away to listen and assess. He told me that at this point they are trying to decide if this is something Baby A can live with for several more weeks or if we need to get him out right away. They updated my Perinatologist and she ordered a BPP (biophysical profile, which is done via ultrasound). We had to wait for someone to come in to the hospital for that (since it is Sunday and they are not on site during the weekend). The BPP showed that Baby B is practicing his breathing but Baby A was not (outside of a "breath" here and there...nothing conistent). They u/s technician said that they need to see it for 30 seconds at a time in order to say they are "breathing." Both babies are moving and they do not look like they are in distress so that is good. Baby A's HR has gone back up again for the time being but fluctuates quite often. His HR issue is a mystery but everyone has calmed down since the BPP results showed that the babies are coping well for the time being. Dr. Schell (my OB) said that it could be that Baby A just layed on his cord for a bit and then changed position. Right now I am on continuous monitoring until at least 9 or 10 p.m. tonight. All they can do is keep an eye on them right now. I have been permanently moved down to a Labor & Delivery room (my 4th move since arriving less than a week ago) to be closer to the OR in case of an emergency. I'm having some contractions again but nothing serious. I am glad that no rushed decisions were made during the chaos because I want the babies to stay in as long as possible. 26 week old babies are very young and should still be developing inside their mother.

3 comments:

  1. Julie, I am so thankful for the wisdom of doctors. Go Jesus!! That all seems very scary, but I'm glad they're still inside and growing strong. I love love love you :) See you this week sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thank you Jesus for giving those doctors wisdom!! Thanks for keeping us updated, it really helps to let us know how to pray for you each day. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Julie, how scary. I'm glad your doctors are taking such good care of you & the babies. My thoughts and prayers are with you...

    ReplyDelete