Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Second day inpatient

Today is much better than yesterday. During my ultrasound they saw both babies "practice breathing" which is a fantastic indication of well-being because they told me that when babies are distressed the first organs to shut down are the "breathing" organs. Their little diaphragms were moving today and were not moving yesterday so we are really happy about that. The doc did say that they may not have seen this yesterday because of my stress level and also my lack of eating (they had me fasting earlier in the day because I originally went in for my normal appt. to take my glucose test and then continued my fast in case of the need for an emergency c-section. I hadn't eaten from 9:30 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. The babies are definitely NOT used to that!).
I have a low blood platelet count (normal is 140 and mine is 84). They're trying to figure out why. They said they are trying to rule out preeclampsia.

They got my contractions under control (tried several bags of IV fluids but didn't work so administered terbutaline and that pretty much stopped them). I still have an irritable uterus but the doctors are not alarmed by by this. One last thing is that Baby A's heartbeat has been much more regular than irregular today (as opposed to yesterday) so that's a good sign too. Maybe it will altogether just go away soon.

John brought me some personal things (jammies, reading material, etc.) so I feel more "at home" now. That really makes a difference. It's nice to have clean underwear!

I've spent most of the day meeting with people (Dr. Chauhan (my Perinatologist), a physical therapist, two separate phlebotomists, the ultrasound technician, nurses (of course), a neonatologist, and will meet with Dr. Schell (OBGYN) later tonight along with a new doctor to talk about the low blood platelet counts.

John and Hunter came to visit today. Hunter wasn't too excited to see me in a wheelchair (I was being wheeled back from my ultrasound down the hall and they had arrived in my room while I was gone). He said, "Mom, why are you in that wheelie chair?" (in his angry voice) and was hitting the wheel. He took a good 10 minutes to adjust to the setting and was acting out quite a bit, hitting John when he took him to a corner to settle down after he continued to disregard my requests for him to stop whipping my leg compressor tubes around in circles. I told John that maybe he should just take him back home and Hunter piped up with, "No! I don't want to go home!" John followed up with, "Well, this is not hospital behavior" and from then on he was fine. We watched a little t.v. together and he enjoyed pushing the buttons on the remote attached to my bed. He likes that he can control the lights from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment