Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Monitoring switch

I can't believe I have been here for six weeks (as of last Monday). It feels more like six months.

They have switched my monitoring to be every two hours for a half hour at a time. It means that I am being monitored more overall each day but in shorter increments. The logic behind it being that they are able to keep tabs on the babies more frequently throughout the day and night. My OB is allowing me to be monitored every four hours through the night (instead of every two). That allows me a little more sleep. I thought they would have waited until I reached 32 weeks to increase the monitoring but they are doing it a little bit early.

John and I are meeting with my OB, Perinatologist, and a Neonatologist on Friday morning (when I am officially 32 weeks) to weigh the benefits and risks of keeping the babies in or taking them out. 32 weeks is considered a big milestone because once the babies reach that gestational age it is pretty safe for them to be born. They will most likely have some breathing and feeding issues but it's unlikely that they will face any major defects at that age. We are hoping to keep them in for a few more weeks because at 34 weeks the babies' lungs are developed better and so it is much easier for them to breathe on their own. Also, they develop a suck reflex around that time so it is easier for them to eat as well. We will know more after our pow-wow with the docs at 9 a.m. on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment