Thursday, May 21, 2009

Platelet drop (again)

Today my platelet count is 59,000 (an average person has 150,000). It has dropped from 71K four days ago. I have been told that if my levels drop below 50K and I have an emergency c-section I will have to be put under general anesthesia and miss the birth of our babies completely. Furthermore, John will not be permitted to be in the operating room. The Chief of Anesthesiology came to talk to me and explained that they do not allow local anesthesia (spinal) for patients with low platelets because they could end up needing back surgery to prevent paralysis because of a hemotoma (bad bruise) in between the bones in the spine with no room to expand, putting pressure on the nerves. They don't want any kind of bleeding anywhere near the spine. It is safer to do general anesthesia for the mother's health. Anyway, I don't think it will come to that because I believe these babies will make it just fine for three more weeks and then I will have a planned c-section. This is better because they will have time to administer more steroids in the days beforehand, which will boost my platelets as long as my body responds to them well. As long as my platelets are above 50K I can safely have a spinal tap and be awake for the delivery (with John beside me). And that's what I'm praying for.

The babies look fantastic! I didn't hear A's arrhythmia at all today. I feel like it's miraculously gone!

I got to meet my friend Shelly's new baby Rylan today when they came for a visit. He's adorable and so snuggly. I got to hold him and it made me so excited to meet our little guys. My in-laws came to visit as well (along with John and Hunter). They were in town to help plant my garden so that we will have fresh produce this summer. Aren't they amazing?! John came back later and took me outside for a bit. The weather was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment